History & Stats
General History of Cannabis
High-Level Timeline of Events
Growing and using cannabis is not new. It is a century-old practice that the Western world is now legalizing and opening up. The opportunity will be exponential.
Ongoing Decriminalization and Legalization of Medical & Recreational Cannabis Around the World
Recreational Legalization Begins
Medical Cannabis Begins in the West
US War on Drugs
Global Prohibition Era Begins
Wide scale hemp cultivation in the Western World – Medical Cannabis Added to US Pharmacopeia
2900 BC – 1500 AD
Ancient Cultures Recognize the Medical & Spiritual Value of Cannabis
A Growing Market
Massive Expectations for Consumer Demand
By 2021, the global cannabis market will hit $31.4 B.
– The Brightfield Group, 2017
The global medical cannabis market alone is expected to reach a value of US $55.8 B by 2025.
– Grand View Research, 2016
CANADIAN & US LEGAL USE
The Canadian & US Legal Cannabis Market is estimated to be $100 B by 2029.
– Ackrell Capital, 2016
Nearly 55 M adults currently use marijuana with close to 35 M being “regular users” once or twice a month.
– Yahoo News & Marist College Survey, 2017
About 4.9 M Canadians between the ages of 15-64 purchased both medical and non-medical cannabis last year. Cannabis consumption has more than doubled among Canadians 15 and older over a 30-year span, according to a new Statistics Canada report.
– Statistics Canada, 2017
Bringing Cannabis to the World
Harnessing New Opportunities
- 30 countries have legalized cannabis fully, or partially.
- In the US, about 30 states allow cannabis for medical purposes, and nearly 1/3 have legalized recreationally.
- And more to follow…
Growth Areas to Watch
- Evolving Consumer Behaviors: New Brands, New Products, New Delivery Methods
- Changing Technology: Growers, Distributors / Retailers, and Consumers
- Expanding Medical Applications: For Cannabinoid-based Therapies